Friday, October 12, 2012

UNANSWERED PRAYERS

I cannot tell you how close we were to moving. I know I emailed at least 10 resumes to places such as Austin, Dallas, Amarillo. Crickets. Rejection after rejection and finally TIME RAN OUT! It was time for Betty to start school and that meant Gus Birdwell Elementary. In the midst of this, I continued to tell my mother God's plan will present itself. To which she responded, what if it already has? What if you are living his plan?

Last Saturday mom and I crept to the edge of town for a Lynx's homecoming. Badly burned in a bon fire, Cameron Wolf was coming home from the burn center in Lubbock. We sat and waited and shared a smidge of wine. Firetrucks, ambulance, and Spearman citizens lined the highway with signs showing support and love for a fighter and a survivor. And then he was home, surrounded by the entire community who rallied for him like I've never seen before. Tonight we will all gather wearing his #11 Wolf t-shirt before the game to once again show our town's support.

Wednesday Poppy walked Betty to the church for her weekly after school program and there was a small mix up. No after school program. However, Poppy sure of her safe arrival walked home. A few minutes later the doorbell rang and there stood Betty. "No one was there so I just walked home." The incident left Poppy and I a bit uneasy. What if? What if she got lost? What if she was nabbed? Except this is Spearman and those what-ifs are almost impossible.....certainly unlikely. She walked three blocks home alone as safe as can be. Truthfully, she might have stopped at someone's house for cookies and milk. We didn't ask her.

I was so very close to giving this up. To making a selfish choice. What is better for ME? There are no restaurants for ME to enjoy with friends on the weekends. There are no friends on the weekends. Where can I go for a glass of wine on a Friday night? I. I. I. ME. ME. ME.

And the truth is. The cold hard truth is I am a country mouse. I am exactly where I need to be and more importantly, it does not get any better than this for a 5 year old socialite. I realize things change and life can throw you curve balls but for now I am going to bask in the happiness and security population 3,300 can bring you if you just open it's doors.

1 comment:

denise8689 said...

You are a good mom Grace. Yay for you and Betty staying in smallville. I love seeing you both around town. AND, you made Poppy and B very happy.