Thursday, October 4, 2012

THE BARNYARD BEGINS

I don't even know where to begin or how I can possibly capture perhaps one of the most hilarious evenings of my life.

Remember me? The girl wanting fresh eggs and chickens and all that noise? Well, guess what? Be careful what you wish for. It might come true.

At approximately 7:00 p.m. last night, our doorbell rings. I assumed it was someone selling cookie dough or candles or raffle tickets (it's that time of year) but oh no. Who stands at my door? A darling boy and his mom with, lo and behold, three chickens. HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

A white hen who is now named Hatch. A red hen who is no named Chili and an unknown grey who is still IT.  Prolific egg layers I tell you.

As I type this blog I see two neighbor cats about to pounce in the backyard. I just this second sprinted faster than I have since high school and almost kicked a cat. GET OUT OF HERE I SHOUTED. Goodness gracious. Chickens? Yes. I have found a place in my heart for some gosh dang chickens.

Mostly because they came from a dear friend who spent A LOT of time....sheesh I'm out of breath.....researching and finding the perfect chickens for the Calvert girls. There is also a coop being commissioned as we speak from said darling boy and all of this was made possible by dear friend.
I would like to add, however, that he was very set on me getting a dawn announcing rooster which did not happen. Whew.

Yeah, I'm not even close to conveying how funny all of this was but I will tell you Chili Chicken went missing today and I almost called the police. I also patrolled the streets and asked both mail carriers if they had seen 'a red chicken'. When I returned home Hatch had escaped and I had to shoo her in through the house and she somehow managed to jump on the bed. Watch a white chicken cackle and fluff her feathers on your bed. Trust me. You'll laugh your ask off.

All I know is this: at this rate the chances of them being settled enough to lay the COVETED FRESHEST EGGS EVER is pretty much slim to none.

A shout out to Tyler Stedje!!! The best chicken farmer this side of the Mississippi AND to someone who appreciates the Damn Dirty Hippy side of this girl! Possibly my all time favorite gift. Fresh eggs for life as long as I can run fast enough to catch the cats.

1 comment:

Cassie Butt Beckwith said...

Please name the grey one Gino!