Thursday, November 3, 2011

CLAM IT UP



One of my favorite stolen recipes is clam bake stew. It's super easy, delicious and healthy. I also like to think about Betty eating things that are different from the normal mac and cheese or green chile mac and cheese at our house. So I bought some clams and shrimp while I was in Amarillo yesterday (Dear Market Street, I missssssssssss you). We fired up the pot and worked together to make one of my favorite soups. I immediately dug into the clams as Betty removed hers from her soup bowl. I thought, perhaps, she was setting it out to cool off (although I know better).

"I'm not eating that clam. Those clams miss their mamas and we are going to the beach to set those clams free. (to the clam) Don't worry little clam. I'll protect you." Dinner proceeded and she ate the tomatoes and corn out of her soup. Fine. Whatever. She's four. I can't expect her to eat clams, right? Until she started carrying the clam around with her.

Reminds me of a certain youngster circa 1987 who put 'Only elephants should wear ivory' bumper stickers all over her dad's Ford. And it begins.

No comments: