Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CARRY A TORCH



I spent the holiday with all of my lovely blended family. Betty, parents, grandparents, siblings, siblings' loves, cousins, aunts, uncles and the list goes on. Enough food to feed a small army, warmth, cooking, laughter, great wine, games, superb conversation, pumpkin cheesecake, decorating, coffee, soft beds, blazing fires and the list goes on. After everyone left on Sunday, Betty and I decorated yet another tree. I sat down for a few moments because I wanted to catch the Angelina Jolie interview on 60 minutes but instead I was fortunate enough to see the above clip. Shock and awe. Not because of the circumstances these children are enduring (it's shocking in itself but I was aware of the state of homelessness in Florida) but because of these children's attitudes. Living in the back of a truck, eating canned food, getting ready for school at a gas station. YET. Yet thankful, spirited and happy. STILL SOMEHOW THINKING OF OTHERS. My God, how blessed I am. I live such an abundant life. I was reminded of a blog I posted last year, or maybe the year before, about keeping Christmas simple, about Christmas being a spirit inside of you. And although, I am going all out this year, I feel that Christmas light shining all around me. I will remember these children who live in the most dire situations and still find a way to carry their light. Their smiles were infectious and stirred something in my heart. I am eternally thankful for all that Betty and I have and challenge myself to truly make a difference this holiday season.

No comments: