Friday, January 23, 2009

ANGELS AMONG US



Betty Jean Davis was named Citizen of the Year last night at the Spearman Chamber of Commerce Banquet. Other than my Betty being born, I have never been so proud. In my opinion, there is no woman in this world with her strength and genuine goodness. She has given and given and given some more. Never and I mean NEVER has she asked for recognition for her endless good deeds. She has cared for people she has never met and serves God each and every second of every single day. She bows low, says little, and shares often. It was a moment that meant so much to our family. She accepted the award in her own humble way and the crowd gave her a standing ovation. These days, women such as this are few and far between. She is an angel in this fast and furious world and every member of my family turns to her for a guidance that is shown by example rather than words. As I looked across the table I saw tears well in my Grandfather's eyes. He is a man that shows little emotion and I don't know that I've ever seen him cry. She leaned over kissed his weathered cheek and whispered thank you as she walked to the podium.

2 comments:

Cassie Butt Beckwith said...

I am so happy for her. She definitely deserves it. I know her sister would be very proud. I pray that we received that same blood from the two of them that makes them so giving. How could we ever amount to what they are?

Salling Family said...

Sounds like Miss Betty Beatrice was named after a wonderful woman.