Wednesday, May 2, 2007

TRUE FORTUNES PROMISE IS A REDHAIRED MADDONESS

As I ponder this miracle that grows inside of me each and every day, I am led to ask myself, "What color of hair will she have?" I am blonde. My mother and father are brunette. Many of her uncles and cousins have red hair and her daddy is a redhead. Oh, is her daddy ever a redhead! In my pondering and apparent overload of spare time, I have found out some very useful information about the infamous redhead and all that that implies.
  • Queen Elizabeth I, only washed her hair about three times a year. She did so in lye, which was a mixture of wood, ash and water. Her hair fell out and she wore a red wig. Red hair was thought to be unlucky until Elizabeth I made it popular.
  • The highest percentage of natural redheads in the world is in Scotland (13%), followed closely by Ireland with 10%. In the US, about 2% of the population are natural redheads.
  • Redheads were turned out of Cornish dairies, because it was believed they would turn the butter sour.
  • Redheads have the thickest hair, but have the smallest number of strands.
  • The ancient Egyptians paid homage to their god Osiris by burying redheaded men alive.
  • Less than 1% of the human race has red hair.
  • As well as in humans, red hair can be found in other mammalian species such as orangutans, squirrels, and highland cattle. Red hair or fur can be found in some breeds of dog and cat, and certain species of fox and deer.
  • Pagan witches thought the fat of a redhead was a vital ingredient for a host of unsavory spells. Redheads were thought to have an aura of magnetism and mystic power in a free-floating.

Only time will tell if we are to become a U.S. rarity by being blessed with two carrot tops in one family unit. But regardless of the color of her hair there is a daunting FACT that lurks on the horizon. She will be a redhead at heart!

No comments: