Friday, January 13, 2012

WATCH OUT WORLD




When I was 16, I packed up my car and moved to Amarillo, enrolled at Amarillo High and started school the next day. Terrified. Little ole Lynxette me transferring from a class of 60sih to a class of 400ish.I will never forget my now best friend giving me the bird out of her convertible. She wanted to run over me, I'm pretty certain. Needless to say, I was not the most popular girl in school. I was new. I did not drive a BMW. I did not play volleyball and I refused to seem terrified. Terrified. My dad's apartment was across the street from the school and I would walk home alone every day wanting to move back to Spearman. One random afternoon a boy I noticed at school before (6'5 at least-hard to miss) approached me on my walk and asked me if he could have a drink of water. He was the 'maintenance guy' at the apartments and was thirsty. I let him in the sliding back door and he grabbed a DP, plopped down on our couch and turned on the tv. I was terrified. He was a big guy. I had never met him before and he acted as if he had known me my whole life. When he left that afternoon, he asked if I minded leaving the patio door open so he could come in during work and get a drink so I did. My dad began to question where all of the DPs were disappearing to so I confronted my new friend. "Well, I just clock-in, go to your house, drink some Dr. Peppers, have some snacks, watch some TV and then clock-out when work is over." This arrangement went on until he was fired months later. Which began one of my oldest friendships. Hundreds and hundreds of stories that still make me laugh so hard I get tears in my eyes (most of them on 'Mama's credit card'). Last night I took Betty to see their new baby girl. She was perfect. She was absolutely beautiful. He said, "She stays up at night. That HAS to stop."

No comments: