Tuesday, January 10, 2012

THEY DO



Just in case you haven't received the memo. I am divorced. Yup, that's right. The Big D and I don't mean Dolly. I have never discussed it directly on my blog and never will. I have been private about many things in my life, and after living in Spearman for almost 2 years now, I still have people ask me how life in the Big D is and I don't mean Dallas. Anyway, this entry has nothing to do with divorce. In fact, quite the opposite: marriage.

I can honestly say I am not sure I will ever get married again. I have somehow turned into a, as Mattie says, liberal hippie (she didn't get the memo). Maybe not, but my perspective on life has certainly changed and I am enjoying the JUST.BE.HAPPY. attitude. I spent some of the year feeling mildly bitter about marriage, sort of digging my heels into its dirt and maybe even spitting on it a time or two, fists clenched. Constantly telling myself there is no way in hell two people can committ to each other for a lifetime. No way we are 'programmed' that way. No way we can endure the doldrums or survive the tenacity of Divorce's Claws. 'It makes no sense. It's a Puritan idea created so many years ago which makes no sense for young people in this generation. BLAH. BLAH. BLAH.' I decided to give it all a one over, kick it to the curb and say I DO NOT BELIEVE.

Ahem.

And we all know, that is not me. And perhaps at the very moment I decided to walk away, someone else decided to walk down the aisle. Two of the most precious people I know were engaged on Monday and married on Thursday. A quiet and intimate ceremony with family and close friends. No hoopla, no extravagant flowers, no Ava Maria. Just two people who said we love each other A LOT and we are going to give this a whirl. We haven't known each other ten mintues. We have known each other for over ten years. Two people who said it's always always always worth a try.

As my baby brother watched his beautiful bride walk down the aisle last week, this Grinch's heart grew two sizes at least. I thought of the first time I held him. I thought of the challenges of his life and how much he puts others first. But mostly I thought of his courage. If I know one thing, Charles Davis can be my wing man anytime. When he his passionate about something, he takes it to a level the rest of us cannot fathom. And her? Mrs. Jena Davis? Well, that is another post.

On January 5th and probably a lot more than that, I will always be reminded of the doubt that almost took over. Almost.

To Mr. and Mrs. Charles Davis, you have changed my heart. And although I may not get married, I will continue to believe what I always have. Two people should always always always give it a whirl because love can last a lifetime.

And to Cody Mac and Mattie Mac, watch out. You now have one BELIEVING MOH on your hands.

No comments: