Tuesday, March 1, 2011

WHAT A DOOOOOOZIEEEEEEEEE


As I was going through old folders on my laptop, I stumbled across this:

March 25, 2010

The Ellen DeGeneres Show
P.O. Box 7788
Burbank, CA 91522


Dearest Ellen,
Last summer my best friend lost her husband and my daughter’s best friend lost her father. I have enclosed an essay I was asked to submit for a “Farm Mom of the Year Contest”. I realize this is a shot in the dark but I believe ordinary people often make this world extraordinary in so many ways. I believe she deserves to come to your show. And now for the gipper, I think John Mayer should be there too. We, these mothers just trying to be the best we can each and every day, are huge fans. I have enclosed a picture of us at a concert in OKC. Did we rock it out? Yes we did. Rebecca has the lyrics to “Pefectly Lonely” printed and posted where she can be reminded by them, be moved by them. I have also enclosed some of my blog (www.embracethegrace.blogspot.com) entries that pertain to this tragedy which has become a futile lesson to us all. You can also check either of us out on Facebook (Grace M. Calvert or Rebecca Stevens Crownover, Dumas , Texas).


Sincerely,

Grace M. Calvert

AND I PROCEEDED TO LAUGH SO HARD I CRIED.

Next I found the essay (not sure if it was ever submitted):

A person’s true character cannot be measured in times of greatness and prosperity. It is in the shadows and on the edge of darkness that your light must shine through.
“I will never truly understand why this happened, but I will not miss out on Christ's blessings because of it." And with those words, the funeral ended. A father was gone and a soul mate lost. A farm suffered and the community reeled. And until Rebecca Crownover emerged from the smoke, everyone was at a loss for what to do. But emerge she did.
Over the past year, I have witnessed a transformation beyond words. I have watched sadness turn into hope and loss turn into love. I have witnessed light.
Rebecca is truly an inspiration. Not once, not ever has she lowered her head. She is a stone pillar and soft pillow to daughter Acie. She is a listener, a hugger and a laugher. She is active in the family farm travelling to meetings across the country and being the essence of a hands-on employee, never afraid to dive in head first. She continuously supports the endeavors of our town by being active on leadership boards and offering abundant assistance to many charitable organizations. And she is a friend…..a true friend. Loving and kind and always happy to lend a hand.
You see we all have a choice. We are all faced with heartache and tragedy. A winding path is put before us each and every day. It is up to us to conquer this path in light or in darkness. It is up to us to carry a torch and light the way so others may follow. This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine. Rebecca has ignited her family, her friends, her employees and our town with contagious luminosity.

AND I JUST PROCEEDED TO CRY.

No comments: