Thursday, March 17, 2011

HOME BEFORE DARK




I was looking for a landowner's phone number in my notebook today and found this. Apparently this notebook has been around for a while. This sweet letter is most definitely from my then 5 to 8 year old sister. I smiled as I thought about her tiny self, brown bobbing ponytail (if it wasn't chopped off) jumping on her bike to go cruising with friends.

I also thought about how gorgeous she looked last night at dinner. Not so little anymore. A grown woman about to graduate from college. Independent, savvy and all adult. I cannot believe how time flies. I cannot believe she will be married pretty soon and have babies of her own.

And then I thought of Betty. It will be just a few short days and she will be hopping on her own pink (of course) bike. She will leave me a note with precious handwriting saying she'll be home before dark. She is the light of my life, my dream come true and a blessing beyond words. I don't write about her that often because....Well, because read my blog. It's not good enough for the greatness of Betty. My thoughts for her are locked away in a journal my mother kept for me. She is the best thing that ever happened to me. As she grows and learns and explores I am constantly reminded what a gift being a parent is. God smiled on me the day she was born. Kindergarten, homework, reading, writing. What an absolute blast I have before me! I am ready. Bring on the bikeriding. She will want me to go with her, right?

No comments: