Monday, February 27, 2012

HOT! HOT! HOT!



Some times I have to stop and chuckle at my quirky endeavors. These FANTASTIC ideas to prove I am a cool quirky mom. Fantastic ideas that don't always go exactly according to plan. For example..........

The weather yesterday was gorgeous. Warm sunshine and a light breeze, which compared to the 60 mph dust bowl the day before, is damn near Roatan for us. I have enjoyed my firepit once since I bought 1107 and so I decided to LIGHT.THAT.BABY.ON.FIRE. I invited Poppy and B over. Beebs and I headed to The Lowes (every business in Spearman starts with THE: the bank, the dentist, the post office, the drug store). I'm not a huge hot dawg fan other than at baseball games but I decided what the hey. We bought franks and buns and even marshmallows. Betty helped me make roasters out of hangers.

Lord help me as I keep thinking of Christmas circa de 1990 when my Honey had a 'Weenie Roast' instead of the traditional turkey and dressing. Beans and weenies. LAWD. Technically you eventually turn into your grandmother right? I'm getting completely off track.

We ventured out into the warm day and I filled the pit with old fence posts and Betty helped me gather branches from our pecan tree. The pit was already filled with leaves so starting the fire was simple. Poppy and B came over 20 minutes later and I, being the firemaster and all, kept adding wood. Everyone seemed pretty excited about this whole afternoon adventure until we sat around the fire pit and realized it was hot enough to scorch an entire pig in a matter of seconds.

We all switched positions 8 times but never really found the appropriate angle that would not burn your face off. Betty winced and retreated for the house as her cheeks were already wind burned from skiing. Poppy dropped her weenie three or four times finally just letting it burn and resolving to just 'wash the ashes off'. B finally found a heavy rock so he could just turn his rotisserie style. The whole scene was pretty hilarious and overall was an epic FAIL. Betty said, "Next time we better just try that in the fireplace."

BUT. BUT. Not really a fail at all. We spent an afternoon outdoors together in the sunshine. We laughed at ourselves and tried really hard to get the job done. We found a new way to get a tan and taught Betty to be innovative. My grandmother is quirky. My mother is quirky and I am quirky. And although Betty seemed somewhat annoyed with her charred hot dog, I'm pretty certain she'll come up with her own quirky ideas someday. She may even be the one saying screw it and dusting off the ashes.

1 comment:

Pura Vida said...

apple lies very close to the tree