Monday, April 25, 2011

SALVATION TO IMPART




This Easter was probably my favorite so far. I spent time with Betty, my siblings and their significant others (I have officially been deemed the 5th wheel). Thank God for my brother's LED headlamp that allowed him to cook steaks in the dark. We sat around his table Saturday night and laughed and joked and laughed some more.

Church at Polk Street on Sunday felt like home. Several Spearman peeps attended and Todd Dyess who was the pastor in Spearman for many years. He also confirmed me back in the day. It felt nice to see so many familiar faces. The music was incredible and I caught myself singing one of the hymns with my hymnal closed (that's when you know you're dang old). The day could not have been more gorgeous and we had a wonderful lunch with my dad and family.

As I sat and watched Betty inhale fried chicken at the country club our sweet waitress came and filled up my tea glass.....again. I wondered if she had to miss her family's Easter celebration so she could be at work. I thought about the pressures and hardships she might be enduring. I thought, "How am I so blessed? What have I done to deserve this incredible life I live?" It caused my stomach to twist and turn and my heart to sink for a moment. My life is full and abundant and I want for nothing. Why me? Why my family? Why were we chosen to be showered with so many gifts and blessings? The truth is I have no idea how I am so fortunate. I am no saint nor do I consider myself extraordinary. I'm just an average person who tries to do the best she can each day.I do know this Easter caused me to remember these things. It reminded me to be kind and to be greatful. It made me think about the people out there who are struggling or hurting or lonely. This Easter gave my spirit a sense of renewal. I want to be a better person. I want to help people and give back to my community. I want to make a difference.

The day ended with grilled tuna and crisp sauvignon blanc by the pond. I picked a chive bloom and popped it in my mouth. I lit the chiminea and watched the fire dance. I found my own LED light and thought I am blessed, very blessed indeed.

No comments: