Wednesday, April 13, 2011

AND IT GOES ON

Last night I bathed Betty. I washed her hair and put her towel in the dryer. I lathered her in lotion and brushed her hair. Her hands were dry so I mixed some rash cream and vaseline and rubbed her pudgey little hands and I thought how sad that I don't get to do this for the rest of my life. Someday she will be too big for this sort of thing. I thought soon she will be 18 and she will be gone. My life as her caregiver will be over. And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Having a child is FOREVER. It is not just 18 years or 30 years or 60 years. When you bring a child into this world it begins a cycle that will endure through the last day of your life.

Because after Betty I will rub lotion on someone's hands again. My mother's hands.

No comments: