Thursday, January 13, 2011

TO ROME



My Dear Roma,

So your food, wine, and scenery were no less than BAD TO THE ASSK. I have never felt more alive than tossing my heart’s desire into the Trevi Fountain.
But we all know I am a people person. I love people in all shapes, forms and fashions. I love meeting people and learning about people and watching people. I love shaking a new hand as much as I love Rughetta pizza. So Dear Rome, my most favorite part about you? Your peeps of course. What I brought home from Italy that I love the most is: Julia, Ewan, Marco, Chiara, Tiziana, Andre, and all the rest of you whose names I cannot spell.

So it goes a little something like this:

Me: Do not go out alone after dark.

Me: I am somehow missing the Italian merriment I dreamt of. Where’s all the yelling and obnoxious laughter?

Me: Do not go out alone after dark.

Me: Is there a little pub close that would be safe for me to go to alone after dark?
Hotel Bartender: Yes, just down the street. Tree Folk’s.

Me: Just walk by. If you feel safe, stop in for a beer.

And the rest is history. I spent New Year’s Eve in front of Tree Folk’s with all of the people listed above and watched fireworks over the Coloseum. I kissed a lot of cheeks and WHOOPED it up Italian style. And I made, what I believe will be, lifelong friends. Be afraid, Spearman. Be very afraid. I anticipate a gang of Italians stomping on your ground before summer’s end.