Friday, July 25, 2008

THE PAT TIMES TWO



Sometime in the wee small hours of the morning BB had a bad dream. Her cry was not the standard middle of the night cry. It was more like a whimper and she was breathing heavy when I went in and picked her up. She clenched on to me as though she were terrified and I knew she must have had her first nightmare. What was it that scared her, I wondered. She's been in this world all of 11 months so I assume it was food related. Maybe she was just out of milk. I rocked her for a long time and she patted me. She's been doing that lately...laying her head on my shoulder and patting me. As if to say, well, what I am relaying when I pat her. What a sweet baby! What a sweet mama, she was telling me. I could have held her all night. I crawled back into bed and Justin, who was dreaming also, rolled over and PATTED MY BACK. He did until either he or I dosed off; I'm not sure who was first.

My heart is so full...of love and happiness and contentment. I know, it's just a pat, but it made my week. I am loved and appreciated and I am overwhelmed with how much a family can mean to one person. If you see someone you care about today, give 'em an ole pat on the back....times two.

1 comment:

Cassie Butt Beckwith said...

OMG! I can't wait to have that little pat on my back. You are such a wonderful mother, wife, and best friend cousin. I sure wish we lived closer to one another.