Wednesday, March 13, 2013

IN A NEW YORK MINUTE




My phone won't let me send videos larger than this but there are at least 8 of these books and she knows every word. She can also read longer books that belonged to Poppy when she was little. I think what amazes me the most is her ability to teach and push herself. Do not get me wrong, her teacher is AMAZING. I have no clue how she has the patience to endure 17 little children every day. I think this age is tough in that their attention spans are SO.DANG.SHORT. Betty is very curious right now and when I visited her at school one day, I noticed her entire class sort of wandering around. Each of them doing their very own thing ie dancing or clapping their hands or talking to a friend. How hard it must be to line them up each day. It reminds me of the owl in Bambi when he screws his head around to convey being twitterpated. All in their own little happy worlds. I am also not going to discredit myself. I read to Betty A LOT and always have. But the truth is she is so very capable.....a sponge just waiting to take it all in. She has expressed this at school but in other aspects as well. She goes to piano once a week but has taught herself many of the notes. She learned part of Mary Had a Little Lamb but 'sounded out' the rest herself. She has also learned how to turn on the metronome in the Garage Band App and listen to it while she practices. POINT BEING, these little creatures are dang smart. It is truly incredible to watch her learn and grow and expand and become her own person. I am more proud of her than I ever thought possible.

Recently 5 teenagers were killed and in a car accident outside of Dumas, two of them sisters. My heart has wept this week. I simply can't fathom how someone could survive such a tragedy. I pray. I beg. I praise. As someone reminds me often of Don Henley's words, "If you find somebody to love in this world, you better hang on tooth and nail. The wolf is always at the door. In a New York Minute everything can change." Life is so short. Hug someone you love today!!!!

No comments: