Thursday, May 31, 2012

BETTY FOR PRESIDENT

Not too long ago Betty and I were on our usual evening walk home from dinner at Poppy and B's. We passed a couple I did not recognize on a walk with their baby and Betty gave them a wave and a huge smile. They returned with HEY BETTY! HOW ARE YOU? I meekly waved still having no clue who they were. I thought my child knows more people in this town than I do.

This week I took her for an afternoon snow cone. I sent her up to the stand with a couple of bucks and she marched right back, snow cone and couple of bucks in hand. I didn't recognize the car but knew it must have been someone WE know to be so sweet. The following afternoon we went again and I decided to pay closer attention this time. The high school girl, who I have never seen in my life, opened the window and she talked to Betty as if she'd known her for years. I could see her lips moving and her head bobbling...Oh hi Betty. How are you? You look so cute today. Betty just smiled and ordered her snow cone, tried to pay and marched back to the car money in hand. I had to chuckle. Once again someone quite smitten by her who knows me as Betty's mom.

She knows not a stranger. It's a bit of a scary thing. I feel as if I have to have an extra watchful eye in some situations but in Spearman it is easy to let her be free. She rolls down the window and yells HELLLOOOOOO to people walking down the street. She runs outside to tell Dr. and Mrs. Latta she likes their outfits and do they have any daugthers. She talks to EVERY.SINGLE.PERSON. at the grocery store. She tells Verna Lee she loves her nail polish. She stands on top of her playhouse and yells over the fence. HEY LADD AND KATHY, WHEN'S YOUR POOL GONNA BE READY? She just has a way with people.

I've always said she is an old soul and has this special light about her but as she gets older it has begun to bubble over. She is spirited and capable of really connecting on some plane especially for a four year old. As my friend Elaine says, "Shakin' hands and kissin' babies."

I told my mom last night I think Betty for President 2050 t-shirts are totally in order....


1 comment:

Pura Vida said...

she has my vote for sure! I'll be the president's grandmother and wear pearls on my wrinkled old neck!