Monday, July 11, 2011

THE ONE YOU FEED

Big circle people. Stick with me.

From my bff:

An old Cherokee Indian was speaking to his grandson:

“A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil–he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is good — he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a long minute, and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

My baby sister got engaged this weekend. Her senior picture rests on my dashboard and I look at if often. WWMD? What can I do today that will inspire her? How can I make her proud. She looks up to me and I need to let my life speak. Let your life speak.......

As I drove this weekend, I looked at Mattie's picture and I heard the words open your heart. It is time to open your heart. Your heart has been closed long enough. Your heart has spent enough time broken. Open your heart.

And I was reminded of a fortune I once opened which said, "Those who do not fight do not conquer." And at that very moment I knew. What would Mattie do? What has Mattie done? She has fought for herself. She has fought for love. And at that very moment I knew. I knew it was time to go to the mattresses. Fight for the goodness inside of you. Open your heart. Let your life speak.

And so this week, a very dear chef friend of mine with a black mohawk and freckles is coming to cook for me.

Which one will win? The one you feed.