Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ORANGE YOU GLAD TO KNOW?

Betty Beatrice Calvert peeled an orange (ok it was a clementine but nonetheless)! She shocked me when she came out of her room dressed one day. She baffled me the first day she put her shoes on the right feet. I nearly fell to the floor a couple of weeks ago when she squeezed out the toothpaste and brushed all of those pearly whites in a perfect circular motion. But this topped 'em all. She opened the fruit drawer in the fridge and asked, "May I have an orange?" I'll admit my fat butt was sitting on the couch watching crazy Roz acuse Chris of hitting on the producer's wife in New Zealand but whatev. I had every intention of peeling it for her and then she came and sat by me, Half of the clem in her mouth and the other perfectly skinned in her hand. Justin and I wondered if she used her teeth or her fingers to get it open. She did it twice and we kept asking her where she learned how to peel an orange. From watching us I guess.....

It's just amazing. These tiny accomplishments that seem so small but are so important in their own right. I haven't actually given her orange peeling lessons so she has picked it up by pure observation. I realized last night that too soon her dad will be pushing her down the street on her bike and not too long after that we'll be shipping her off to college or the Peace Corps or whatever. It's precious. It flies by so fast it's almost scary. With each new "trick" the tiny baby disappears and is replaced by a little girl. Peeling oranges is more precious than I ever imagined it could be.....

No comments: